This Section Rules of Procedure (hereinafter called “Rules”) applies to the SIAM Section called the Colombian Section (COSIAM).
The Section to which these Section Rules apply is formed under the aegis of SIAM, and shall operate within its bylaws. This Section shall not affiliate with any other organization without first obtaining the written approval of the SIAM Board of Trustees or its designee. No provisions of these Section Rules shall be construed so as to contradict the SIAM Bylaws.
These Section Rules may be modified by the Board with due notice to the Section.
Article I: Purpose
- To further the application of mathematics to industry and science in Colombia.
- To promote basic research in mathematics leading to new methods and techniques useful to industry and science in Colombia.
- To provide media for the exchange of information and ideas between mathematicians and other technical and scientific personnel in Colombia.
Article II: Activities
The activities that the Colombian Section will organize on a regular basis are the following: Organization of local and regional meetings, and special sessions in order to enhance mathematics education and the application of mathematics to problems in industry and science.
- Organization of an Annual meeting including academic activities such as poster sessions and specific meetings with industry representatives. Topics will be those which are also promoted by SIAM organization and its activity groups.
- Conference organizers shall encourage participants from applied mathematics and physics, biology, social sciences, life sciences, and all the engineering branches. Many of these activities will include the participation of students and SIAM student chapters.
Article III: Territory
The Colombian Section (COSIAM) shall cover the entire nation of Colombia and all relevant institutions within its boundaries.
Article IV: Membership
- Section 1. Any member of SIAM engaged or interested in mathematics and its applications and who is a resident of the geographical area assigned to the Section will be automatically member of the Section.
- Section 2. There is only one grade of membership.
- Section 3. All voting members of SIAM living in the region covered by the section are eligible to vote in the election of section officers. However, they must be in good standing regarding Article XI Section 1.
Article V: Officers
- Section 1. The Section shall have a President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer (Officers). The Section shall also have five Counselors. Officers and Counselors shall be regular members of SIAM in good standing.
- Section 2. The President of the Section shall preside at the meetings of the Section and the meetings of the Section Executive Committee. In the absence of the President, the Vice President shall assume the duties of the President. In the absence of the latter, the Secretary shall assume said duties.
- Section 3. The Secretary shall keep a record of the affairs of the Section, handle correspondence, and submit an annual report of Section activities to the Secretary of SIAM, which report shall be suitable to provide a basis for an article in SIAM News or its equivalent.
- Section 4. The Treasurer shall receive and take custody of Section funds, and shall submit an annual Treasurer’s Report and other financial reports, as requested, to the Treasurer of SIAM. The annual Treasurer’s Report shall be prepared as of December 31 and shall be transmitted to the Treasurer of SIAM by no later than January 15 of the year following.
- Section 5. The Counselors shall collaborate with the Officers in all the activities of the Section.
- Section 6. Officers shall serve a two-year term. Reelection of any officer for an additional term is permissible. The first set of officers shall be appointed by the SIAM President to complete terms on December 31, 2013. Subsequently all officers shall be elected to serve two-year terms, starting January 1, 2014.
Article VI: Executive Committee
- Section 1. The Section will be managed by an Executive Committee consisting of the incumbent officers and the most recently retired president. The Executive Committee shall have the responsibility for Section management and decision making. The chair of the Executive Committee will be the President of the Section.
- Section 2. In case of vacancy, the Executive Committee shall decide how the same is filled for the remaining of the term.
Article VII: Other Committees
- Section 1. The Executive Committee may create standing committees or ad hoc committees for specific purposes.
Article VIII: Meetings
- Section 1. The Section will conduct one technical meeting(s) per year.
Article IX: Elections
- Section 1. Section elections shall be by mail ballot, or by secret ballot at the annual Section business meeting. The winners of the election shall be determined by the plurality of the votes cast for each office. Mail ballots must be submitted to the Section membership at least 60 days, and no more than 120 days, in advance of the date when the terms of office expire.
- Section 2. A Nominating Committee shall be appointed by the President with the approval of the Executive Committee. Nominees must be eligible as stated in Article VI.
- Section 3. The vote will be carried out via e-mail or web through SIAM HQ. All eligible voters will be solicited to vote.
Article X: Annual Business Meeting
- Section 1. The Section shall conduct an annual Section business meeting once per year. Other business meetings may be called by the President or the Treasurer on four weeks’ notice.
Article XI: Section Funds
- Section 1. The Section does not intend to levy any special dues, but may seek funding from SIAM HQ and from the Section members for meetings and special activities.
- Section 2. Although the payment of Section dues will not be a criterion for membership in the Section, the Section will limit the privilege of all voting at elections to these members of the Section who are members of SIAM and have paid the corresponding dues.
- Section 3. The Section shall deposit all unused funds to which it has legal title in excess of $200 in an insured savings account, unless current operating commitments are in excess of that amount or unless the Section Treasurer obtains a written authorization from the SIAM Treasurer.
- Section 4. The Section Treasurer shall maintain books of account that show income and expense items for all activities and balances for all accounts of the Section and report annual to the SIAM HQ.
- Section 5. Requests for funds in support of Section activities shall be made in writing to the Treasurer of SIAM who will forward it to the SIAM Committee on Section Activities. Loans or grants to Sections may be made by the SIAM Treasurer acting on behalf of the Committee on Section Activities. Only one such loan or grant may be made to any given Section during any fiscal year. Other requests for funds shall be substantiated by a proposed budget for expenditures and a current statement of accumulated revenue and expenses.
- Section 6. No officer or member of the Section may apply for a grant to support Section activities or enter into any contract to support such activities or provide services, or have authority to contract debts for, pledge the credit of, or in any way bind SIAM, except to the extent that Section funds exist.
Article XII: Amendments
- Section 1. These Rules may be altered or amended with the approval of the SIAM Board of Trustees. Submission to the Board of proposed alterations or amendments shall be made only after approval by the majority vote of members of the Section present (or represented by proxy) at a scheduled meeting.
Article XIII: Termination of the Section
- Section 1. A Section may terminate itself by the unanimous vote of the members of the Section present (or represented by proxy) at a scheduled meeting, provided that notice of the proposed termination and the meeting at which it is to be considered has been given to all Section members at least 30 days in advance and to the Board at least 90 days in advance.
- Section 2. A Section may be terminated by the SIAM Board of Trustees if there has been no Section activity for one year.
- Section 3. In the event a Section is terminated, the funds to which it has legal title shall revert to the account of SIAM.